In one of the most important historic structures on Boston’s North End waterfront, DSK reimagines the corporate work environment. The Firm’s work with the original circa 1845 masonry and heavy timber structure spans almost 25 years, beginning with the Firm’s 1996 addition to the original building along Boston’s Harborwalk and the phased renovation of a 1990s addition adjacent to the historic structure.
The design addresses accessibility issues appropriate to each building and unites the floor plates of the 1839 masonry building with the 1990s steel and curtain wall addition to enhance the connection between all three buildings on Lewis Wharf. Modular wall systems throughout the space allow for the flexibility of conference and office areas and a new open stairway between floors improves communication between two previously distinct, yet related, companies. The integrated complex of 21st century flexible, light filled, high performance work environments preserves the integrity and character of the historic 1839 and 20th century additions.